Thursday, December 31, 2009

Afridi rates Aussie T20 tougher than IPL

PERTH: Pakistan all-rounder Shahid Afridi has become the latest international star to throw his support behind Australia’s domestic Twenty20 Big Bash, rating it higher than the celebrated Indian Premier League (IPL) tournament.

Compared to IPL and all the other Twenty20 tournaments I think this [Big Bash] tournament is very tough, Afridi said.—Photo by Reuters

Speaking after leading South Australia Redbacks to a 29-run win over Western Australia Warriors at the WACA Ground on Tuesday night, when he took 4-19 from four overs to claim man-of-the-match honours, Afridi said he would learn a lot from playing in the Big Bash.

Afridi is likely to feature in Pakistan’s upcoming one-day series against Australia and is also set to lead his country in the Twenty20 showdown between the two countries in Melbourne in February.

“Compared to IPL and all the other Twenty20 tournaments I think this [Big Bash] tournament is very tough,” Afridi said.

“[There is] good cricket and good pitches and I think this is a good preparation for me before playing in the one-dayers against Australia.

“Definitely if I perform well I will go with good morale so it’s very important for me.



For More Videos Click Here

“I always enjoy cricket, especially in Australia and India, and I think you can learn a lot of things here when you play with good cricketers on a good track.

“If you perform here it matters a lot, so I’m always keen to perform.”

Despite starring with the ball against the Warriors, Afridi had earlier failed with the bat, falling first ball when attempting to slog an Aaron Heal full toss over long on for six.

“Obviously it was my first game and every new game has its own pressure. When the ball was coming in the air I thought I was going for a home run, but I didn’t,” Afridi laughed.

No comments:

Post a Comment